Liberal Arts Transfers

Liberal Arts Transfers

Take Your Associate's Degree Further

If you’re planning to transfer to a four-year college or university after attending Kirkwood, you’re in good company. Each year hundreds of students transfer their Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees to four-year institutions in Iowa and across the country.

With Kirkwood, you can get your first two years of college in a supportive, affordable atmosphere that builds your skills while giving your mind a healthy challenge to prepare you for the next steps.

Talk with an advisor about what you want to major in and what schools you’re thinking about transferring to. We’ll assist you with course selection at Kirkwood to help make sure credits transfer.

And be sure to check out the Transfer Equivalency System (TES) to determine how transferable credits from other schools may affect your Kirkwood degree.

Kirkwood has partnerships with the other major state schools in Iowa to provide you a full complement of options for an easier transfer, including:

  • Iowa State University Admissions Partnership Program
  • University of Iowa 2+2 Program
  • University of Northern Iowa Transfer Connection
  • Take selected courses at Kirkwood and transfer them individually.
  • Attend Kirkwood and another school simultaneously. Many University of Iowa students are jointly enrolled at the Iowa City Campus.

In-State Transfer Programs

Iowa State University is teamed up with Iowa community colleges to offer the Admissions Partnership Program (APP) to students who are in an Iowa community college and are transferring to ISU.

Whether you are a prospective or current APP student, this program makes transitioning as easy as possible.

Many students start at Kirkwood and transfer to the University of Iowa as part of the 2+2 Guaranteed Graduation Plan.

2+2 allows you to complete a two-year degree at Kirkwood, then earn a bachelor’s from the University of Iowa in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences or the College of Business in just two additional years.

When you enroll as a 2+2 student, you receive personal guidance and advising from Kirkwood and the University of Iowa, which will help you stay on track and meet your educational goals in a reasonable time frame.

The Transfer Connection program is a coordinated plan between UNI and community colleges. It helps students easily transition from community college to UNI.

Students are encouraged to start the process as early as possible in their academic career. One of the benefits of enrollment in the program is the individualized attention students receive from UNI’s Transfer Connection Coordinator and an academic advisor in their intended major. Students can expect to receive guidance on course selection, degree progress and your other academic goals and get connected to various campus resources.

College and University Course Equivalencies

For course equivalencies, click on the college name for their information. For colleges not listed, contact an advisor.

How to Transfer Your Liberal Arts Degree

The earlier you start communicating with the college you're seeking to attend, the better!

Many colleges visit Kirkwood on a regular basis. Stop by one of their information tables or events to get your questions answered.

It’s also a good idea to complete an Admissions visit at the college you plan on transferring to. Meet with an advisor, sit in on a class meeting and see housing options.

Apply for admission to your transfer college as soon as you have made a final decision.

Send your Kirkwood transcripts. Transcripts will usually need to be sent twice, once at application and once you receive your final grades and your degree has been granted.

Check important deadlines for admission, financial aid, scholarships and housing!

Many area colleges and universities have specific transfer agreements with Kirkwood. Don’t see your school of interest listed? Kirkwood advisors are able to help you plan for a transfer to a school even if we don’t have an articulation built with them.

Your possibilities are endless, so the sooner you begin exploring, the sooner your advisor can help you research transfer requirements.

During your last semester of courses, you should fill out the graduation application on MyHub. You must fill out a graduation application to receive your degree.

The commencement ceremony takes place once a year in May. Graduates from any semester may attend commencement. Make sure you are prepared by ordering your cap and gown from the Bookstore.

Once you have left Kirkwood, you can register as an alumni to stay up-to-date on the happenings around campus. Benefits include an alumni directory, newsletter subscriptions and member-only events.

Degree Requirements

Degree requirements vary according to program area, but each degree includes core courses. For details on other requirements, please refer to the Kirkwood college catalog.

If you plan to transfer, you should work closely with the Advising & Transfer Center to make sure you fulfill all the requirements of your future school.

Print a class schedule planner to help you schedule your classes. You can also check your progress toward obtaining a degree, diploma or certificate by using the Degree Audit function(Accessible by selecting "Program Progress")

You can use MyHub, or talk to an advisor for more information by calling 319-398-5540.


For students enrolling in the Fall of 2024:


For students enrolling in the Fall of 2023:

Our advisors can help you transfer your A.S. degree and major in many areas, including:

Kirkwood Student Katelyn Kucera

“I love all the expected aspects of community college – cost, location, smaller classes – but at Kirkwood, all of that comes with a really direct connection to the 4-year school I’m transferring to. I’m in contact with advisors and people from the Agriculture department at Iowa State who make sure I can easily transition over there. It gives me a lot of peace of mind and feels like I’m already a part of my ISU program in a lot of ways.”

Katelyn Kucera,
Traer, Iowa

Need Help? Have Questions?

If you have questions or need help figuring out course equivalencies, contact us at:

Advising and Transfer Center


Iowa’s Public Connection is a publication that serves as an excellent resource for transfer students, college counselors, advisers as well as anyone wanting to learn more about articulation. View Iowa’s Public Connection here.