Alternative Credit

Alternative Credit is a way to earn credit for a course you need for graduation by providing documented proof that you already learned the material covered in the course by:

  • Completing Kirkwood Continuing Education coursework
  • Having a current industry-recognized, third-party certificate, credential, or license
  • Work experience
  • Life experience

Your first step is to work with an Alternative Credit Advisor (ACA) in the department that owns the course. They are listed on the application form. Ask your advisor if you need help determining which department owns the course.

Please review the the official Alternative Credit Procedure.

For more details and step-by-step instructions, download the Alternative Credit Request form:

Alternative Credit Application Form


If you have any questions, contact Enrollment Services:

Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Phone: 319-398-7600 or 1-877-386-9101
Fax: 319-398-4928
Email: Enrollment -

FAFSA School Code: 004076

Location: 3rd Floor Iowa Hall

Mailing Address:

Kirkwood Community College
Enrollment Services
6301 Kirkwood Blvd. SW
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52404