High School Completion FAQ

Have questions about our high school completion services? We've got the answers! Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about our program.

Earning a High School Diploma

The first step to start work on a HSED or Adult High School Diploma is to attend an Information/Registration session. Call 319-784-1510.

During the Information/Registration session you will learn about both options. Then our staff will review your previous school history, along with results of the CASAS tests, to help advise you on the best option for you to earn a high school diploma.

The Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System (CASAS) exams are required by the state of Iowa and the United States Department of Education of all students who attend our program. These exams provide the state of Iowa with funding for adult literacy programming, reducing fees for your adult diploma courses or HSED preparation. The CASAS exams are separate from HSED testing and from Adult Diploma exams.

The CASAS exams also help our staff determine your current skill level so we can advise you on which courses or preparation programs will best match your academic needs.

After completing CASAS and meeting with an instructor to determine your program of study, you may work in your local learning center. Check with your local learning center for operating hours. Learning center hours are modified during summer months, as well as for break periods. Please watch for postings of changes to the learning center schedule.

Kirkwood Community College has established policies and procedures to implement provisions of the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) and section 504 of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act. These policies and procedures are used to determine reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities to meet academic and technical standards required for their educational program.

ETS Testing Services, which is responsible for the HSED, has established a process for receiving accommodations on the official HSED test. An application must be submitted by the student along with documentation of his/her disability. Once the application is processed and reviewed, learning center instructors and the student will be notified if accommodations are granted and if so the type of accommodations received.

If you would like to request accommodations for your HSED or Adult Diploma, please visit with a learning center instructor to request the necessary forms.

Taking a High School Class

The High School Transfer Credit program offers a variety of online and correspondence courses. See what is currently available.

We recommend taking one class at a time; however, there is no limit. Your school district may have a policy regarding this. All classes must be registered through your school district.

Anytime! Make sure that sports, drama, band, dance, cheerleading, speech, debate, or other activities will not interfere with your ability to finish this class. You have four calendar months to complete the course from the day you register.

Contact your local high school and follow their enrollment procedure. Once you have received permission from your school, you may enroll in a High School Transfer Credit course with a counselor's assistance.

Wait for materials to be sent to you via email or to your school via USPS mail.

  • All written tests are done in the presence of a proctor.
  • For correspondence and online courses, tests are emailed to the proctor indicated on the registration form.
  • Students turn in their homework for the chapter/unit over which they are testing.
  • Proctors mail tests and homework to the High School Transfer Credit office.
  • For online courses, there are two tests per each unit.
  • The computer-scored test may be taken at any time.
  • Students take exams in the presence of their proctors.
  • Proctors mail, email or fax the tests to the High School Transfer Credit office for scoring.

Students are expected to be prepared the first time they test; however, there is one retake allowed per test. Students should study for a minimum of one week before testing.

  • Students may request an extension of up to one month, which will be considered on a case-by-case basis by the High School Transfer Credit office.
  • Students may re-register for a course by completing the registration process again.
  • Students withdrawing (requests need to be in writing to the High School Transfer Credit office) from the course within the first 14 calendar days are issued a 50 percent refund.
  • Courses are not transferrable to other students.

Students must:

  • Successfully complete the whole class.
  • Pass all tests with a minimum score of 60 percent.
  • Complete all assigned homework.
  • Return the textbook to the High School Transfer Credit office.

An official grade report is emailed to the school with the recommended credit. Your school will add the credit to your transcript.

Didn’t see your question answered here? Contact us!

Kirkwood Center for Lifelong Learning

For all other areas, call Kirkwood Center for Lifelong Learning